part of me wants to say that it’s been unusually cool and rainy for the past several weeks and then i remember that no, actually, it is meant to be about this temperature (50’s and 60’s) with a liberal application of rain showers this time of year and it just hasn’t happened recently (3 years? longer? last year this time it had already hit 90 and baked most of my plants).
so i have decided to be methodical (or obsessive, whichever adjective you prefer) and to dedicate this welcome cool and rainy period to doing perennial upkeep chores like dividing and transplanting.
including (especially??) my baptisias. much googling revealed that it is a truth (almost) universally acknowledged that baptisias have huge gnarly roots that hate being divided but i found a naysayer in plant guru tony avent, who was quoted on a garden forum saying that is a total myth. i’m a contrarian so i went with that. my “vanilla creme” produced many little shoots for me – my “lunar eclipse” reluctantly gave me two for the price of one – my “white knight” was completely uninterested in tony avent’s opinion.
tick count: 1 number of times i was bleeding: 3 proof that there is a god and she wants me to be happy: a pizza in the freezer for dinner (hallelujah) proof that for every up there is a down: i looked at my finished to-do list and man, it felt like a lot more work while i was doing it
friday: 9,354 steps/3.8 miles; 10 bags of manure
saturday: 13,374 steps/5.5 miles
sunday: ~10,979 steps/~4.3 miles; i forgot my phone for part of the day
neviusia alabamensis have arrived, are laid out, divided and planted. they are stoloniferous and just keep going so even though i ordered 5 plants, by the time i got everything open, sorted and pruned i ended up with 10.
i am underplanting them with heucheras, asters and violets for now, and putting some really, really tall Asclepias incarnata “Cinderella” behind them.
planted in the front yard woodland:
primula veris (x3)
dicentra “heart of gold” (x1)
hepatica americana (x8)
phlox divaricata (x5)
still needs work. stay tuned for more updates on this breaking story.
planted in the front yard woodland:
two things here; a photo i saw on pinterest and an actual photo of this combo in the wild at bash-bish falls last spring.
little bluestem grass
veronicastrum / culver’s root
rudbeckia triloba / brown-eyed susan
primula japonica / primula kisoana
carex radiata “eastern star sedge”
sisyrinchium angustifolium “blue-eyed grass” (and white variation)
sisyrinchium campestre “prairie blue-eyed grass” (and white variation)
iris versicolor “blue flag iris”
new england aster
rudbeckia subtomentosa “sweet black eyed susan”
coreopsis palmata “prairie coreopsis”
ascelpias arenara “western sand milkweed”
japanese cherry blossoms
fruit trees blossomed
ascelpias exaltata (in pots)
peonies, peonies, peonies
echinacea “cheyenne spirit”
redbuds (not yet in bloom but ready to pop)
baptisia (itty, bitty tiny shoots, but they’re there!)
after a horrifying and demoralizing washout for thursday, took to the yard with a vengeance on friday and saturday. because most of my plants are currently embryonic and in pots, i was free to not worry about planting and to think about yard chores. i started by marking the areas of poor drainage in the backyard so that i could design beds and swales around them. then, because the soil was so wet still, i took an edger along my marked areas.
this was fun for about 10 minutes and then my arms hurt, but i persevered mostly because it helped me stay warm…
i was also able to work on the willow arch, shoring it up after the ravages of the winter winds.
and when it got too cold and overcast even for me, i retreated inside to finish prepping the last of this year’s perennial seeds.
also, my first winter sowing results: some annuals in my large box of “bee-friendly” plants for the willow bed, and breadseed poppies.
i cut and prepped three new areas for flower beds, meaning, i laid out their approximate shape and size with either a garden hose or a 100-foot extension cord, then edged around it with my old half-moon edger. then i took a rest, because that was tiring.
then, fortified by hot pockets and diet coke, i sallied forth again into the yard and prepared the cut areas for solarization. this year, for a change, i actually splurged and bought several rolls of thick black plastic for the purpose. that way, i can cover the to-be-planted areas and smother the grass underneath without any herbicides or other sprays. depending on what is ready to be planted when, i will either cut through the plastic where appropriate or pull it off and mulch around the plantings. i am anticipating that this year the plastic will stay on for most, if not all, of the summer, so that the new bits can settle in without too much competition. then next year i can mulch and build up the beds.
in fact, while doing this i finally had an epiphany on a tough shady area i’ve been battling for a few years…
…so of course i had to order more plants to fill the aforementioned shady area.