spotted: wood frogs, daffodils (DAFFODILS ALREADY?!), grape hyacinth, cherry buds, monarda foliage, yarrow foliage, witchhazels in bloom (FINALLY)
also, my first winter sowing results: some annuals in my large box of “bee-friendly” plants for the willow bed, and breadseed poppies.
i cut and prepped three new areas for flower beds, meaning, i laid out their approximate shape and size with either a garden hose or a 100-foot extension cord, then edged around it with my old half-moon edger. then i took a rest, because that was tiring.
then, fortified by hot pockets and diet coke, i sallied forth again into the yard and prepared the cut areas for solarization. this year, for a change, i actually splurged and bought several rolls of thick black plastic for the purpose. that way, i can cover the to-be-planted areas and smother the grass underneath without any herbicides or other sprays. depending on what is ready to be planted when, i will either cut through the plastic where appropriate or pull it off and mulch around the plantings. i am anticipating that this year the plastic will stay on for most, if not all, of the summer, so that the new bits can settle in without too much competition. then next year i can mulch and build up the beds.
in fact, while doing this i finally had an epiphany on a tough shady area i’ve been battling for a few years…
…so of course i had to order more plants to fill the aforementioned shady area.